Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Many Christmas Blessings

I love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday, both secularly and liturgically. There is just something about walking into a hushed church and seeing the advent candle burning and the Nativity Scene up and waiting for the Baby Jesus to be placed in it. I've always loved it, since I was a little girl. Now that I'm a mom, I find that I like passing on that reverence and love of the holiday to my son.

I keep on trying to be a good role model and reminding him of why we buy presents for other people and why we get presents and why we celebrate Christmas at all. Try explaining to a four year old that we get gifts for other people because Jesus was born. But he accepted that, and actually came home and told everyone that we came into contact with.

I also try to teach him that we have a lot of blessings to be thankful for. Each year we get a Christmas Angel (or two) but this year we had to do it without Little Guy's help. It was sooo much easier not having him along, but at the same time, I want him to understand that not everyone has as much as we do and just getting a doll or a truck means the world to them. He gets it now, I just hope that as he grows he'll remember.

No comments: