Tuesday, July 3, 2007

I'm Recovered?

Well, the garage sale is over. We made a good chunk of money, enough to buy a new desk, which was our goal. What surprised me was what people bought. With the exception of a coffee table and an arm chair, none of the furniture sold. Whoda thunk? The baby clothes (of which I had 12 Xerox boxes full of) just really sat there all weekend. However, the baby/toddler shoes flew! I had a set of glass wine glasses with a 'gold' rim that sat there, but the margarita glasses went the minute we had people. The baby toys, now they FLEW. We had a bin of little stuff, priced them at a quarter a piece and we darn near sold them all off.

We sweated our butts off, and I swear to whatever deity you want, we are never doing this again. Our garage is still as cluttered as ever, but a WHOLE bunch of stuff is now out on the driveway for Upward Foundation to pick up. And on Friday, we take the baby stuff and maternity stuff to the Crisis Pregnancy Center.

I had two minds about the baby clothes. If I sold them for .25 - .50 a piece, then they probably would have flown. But the clothes are in good shape. I can write them off for a whole lot more than the .25 - .50 I could have sold them for. It was a matter of instant gratification vs delayed gratification (on our taxes in April). Plus, they were good deals for the $1 that I had them listed for. There were a couple of people who came by who recognized what a good deal it was, but most of our shoppers were Hispanics. And if it was more than a quarter, they weren't interested. So... there you go. I wasn't going to drop the price any more, and I'll have delayed gratification.

A word to the wise, don't have a garage sale in June...

1 comment: